Previous - TOC - Next
How to Start – A Beginner's Guide
ADOM is not a simple game – at least if you are really trying to win
and don't just play to have fun and pass some time. ADOM is also very
different from other roguelike games like Nethack, Angband and Rogue
in that it offers a lot more detail and uses a different approach in
certain respects. The following advice might be helpful for both the
hardened veterans of other roguelike games and beginners of ADOM:
- Try to talk to people. The Chat command is an absolute necessity
to get anywhere in the game. At times it even pays to talk to
- Take care about your satiation. Finding enough food to survive is
important in ADOM. Once you learn the tricks you'll have no
problems to cope with this, but in the beginning this might be a bit
difficult. Make sure that you don't carry too much. Being burdened
(or even strained) means that you'll get hungry more often.
- Remember the Tactics command and also remember to run away. Doing
this in coward mode probably is a good alternative to dying in a
hopeless fight. Come back on a better day.
- Remember that it is possible to enter any wilderness area by using
the > command. If you feel the need to drink potions, zap wands
or whatever while traveling through the wilderness and ADOM won't
let you, enter a wilderness area first.
- Pleasing your gods by offering sacrifices is a wise thing to do. If
you are in dire straits and need help, they might listen to your
- Know when to fight and when to run.
- If a dungeon seems to be impossibly difficult, maybe you should look
- There is a number of places and situations in ADOM which require
the careful use of tactics.
- Not every monster is meant to be defeated. It's possible to kill
everything but don't be surprised if some opponents put up a very
- Make sure that you have at least read the introduction in this
manual so that you understand what the game is all about.
- During the game, you should refer as often as necessary to the online
keyboard map (?-K) and this manual (?-M).